Blog Psalm 31:5a

Monday, November 29, 2010

Finding the Happy Part

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving in West Point, New York with our son, Nolan, and his wife, April, and our three grandchildren. Arriving in the White Plains airport, greeted by the brightest big brown eyes of Amelia Claire, 4 years old, jumping up and down with squeals of delight……” Naaaannnn and Biiiiiggggg B” repeatedly made us laugh along with the rest of the folks in the airport. So Thanksgiving quickly became “Thanksloving” for us! Memories were made, prayers were prayed, songs were sung, and stories were told. To help ease our departure, we discussed making a “to-do-fun-list” for our upcoming time together for Christmas. Together we are thinking about the happy part…… and that brings me to the now of tonight.

My heart is sad about one of my children, and I need to find the happy part. It is so true that no matter how old they are my heart will always care and feel their struggle and their pains; but really learning how to trust God with their lives is easier said than done. It helps me to think about my childhood faith in Christ and to know that I need to rediscover for myself that “first-love with Jesus” once again.  Then that deep-knowing can settle my anxious soul and strengthen my spirit.  And then I can do this again tomorrow... and the next day... and the next. The trust lesson is in the “living of life.”

A dear friend prayed for me today “that God’s peace would be a 'garrison' (which means: a battalion, fort, stronghold, defense force, barracks and occupying force) around my heart.” She did not know I had been at West Point. How real and meaningful that word is to me. So tonight, I hide and rest in HIS garrison of peace as I trust God with his loan of love, my child.

An aside:
The local tangerines grown in Fairhope are delicious and my sweet kumquat tree is bent over with fruit. We are having frosty nights, but so far the vincas will not give it up, and I don’t have the heart to take them out. Just another happy part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me!